Powered By Blogger

Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Attack of the Killer Brussels Sprouts

It is a well-known fact that eating your vegetables is good for you. The cruciferous veggies in particular, are loaded with cancer fighting little beasties that do us a lot of good.  Sometimes, their pungent nature (think broccoli, etc) makes them less than yummy, particularly when overcooked. That is why it is so important to treat these items with delicacy and care when cooking them. 




For instance, the humble brussels sprout.  I grew these when I lived in England, and let me tell you, what an unusual plant it is!  It is a tall, alien-looking stalk, punctuated by the little sprouts growing along it. It is one of my favorite treats, and I begin by toasting some nuts. I prefer pine nuts, but did not have any on this day, so I used dry-roasted peanuts. Almonds work well in this, too.



I set the nuts aside to cool, and bring out the secret weapon of brussels sprout yum - BACON!!  Saute a little diced bacon with some minced garlic, like so....


Then, using a good, sharp knife, shred the little sprouts like you would a cabbage, as though you are making cole slaw.  They will look like this...

Add the shredded sprouts to the pan with the bacon and garlic, and saute over medium-low heat just until the sprouts are a nice deep green, and have become tender, about ten minutes. Add a little salt and pepper to taste.  Do not crank the heat up, or cook them to death, that is why people don't like them!  When done, mix in the toasted nuts, and top with freshly grated Parmesan and hot sauce to taste.  Behold....

You will not believe that you are eating, loving and totally enjoying brussels sprouts!  In fact, I think I will go make it again for breakfast this morning. Eat well my friends, and give the humble sprout a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment