Powered By Blogger

Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Frankly my Dear......

I cannot help it. When I get a craving for a certain taste, an excellent taste that I've had before, I must make it. Such is the case with my favorite Vegetable Frankie. Go here for the recipe that I use, and prepare to have an Indian feast-o-goodness! However, when I opened my carefully trimmed and refrigerated green beans, they had "gone over to the dark side". No problem, I quickly blanched some fresh broccoli for two minutes in some boiling, salted water.

I then gathered and prepped all of my ingredients for the Frankie....don't be daunted, this is the hardest part of the whole recipe! I promise!
If you have all your ingredients ready, by the time you are actively putting this dish together, it's a snap. No pun intended....my snap beans were goners, remember? Oh, and I did not have any peas, either. This is not an issue, because any good mix of vegetables works just great in this recipe.  Then, time to cube and roast the squash for the Frankie filling...

Lightly tossed with vegetable oil, salt and pepper. Then, you "toast" cumin in some oil...simply put, you heat oil and cook the spice for a few minutes...like so..

When this has cooked for a few minutes, you add your thinly sliced onion, and begin to slowly caramelize..for about five minutes...


When they are nicely light-brown, and beginning to really get tender, add your garlic, ginger, and turmeric. Be careful with that turmeric! Anything it touches WILL be yellow..to include your clothes (and yes, that is the voice of experience talking)....anyhoo....

You also add salt and pepper, and saute for about 3 minutes, or until the garlic and ginger have mellowed a tad....This is where I differ slightly from the recipe. I combine all the squash, onion mixture and blanched broccoli along with some pickled jalapeno into a bowl and place in the turned-off oven to keep warm. This is what the mixture looks like.....


I also sprinkle the mixture with the chat masala before placing in the oven...so it can absorb the flavors while I am preparing the tortilla. To do just that, beat the egg with the cilantro in a small bowl until combined...


Then, dump that mixture on to a large dinner plate...you'll see why in a moment....
Then, carefully dip a tortilla into the mixture, and place dipped-side down, into your non-stick pan, on medium low heat and spread the top half with the remaining egg and cilantro mixture as the bottom cooks..

Flip carefully after a few minutes, when the bottom half has set - and don't worry if some of the egg mixture slides off, it'll rejoin the tortilla when you continue cooking the other side...

Give it another three to five minutes, and resist the temptation to crank the heat up...those eggs will cook and set within just a few minutes!  Then, place on to a large plate for filling with all the yummy ingredients...
Take your bowl of the vegetable mixture out of the oven, fill Frankie with it, and sprinkle with some chat masala (look at specialty Indian and Asian food stores), some fresh mint and cilantro, and this is what it should look like...

Roll the Frankie up, and garnish with more cilantro, and some thinly sliced red onion. This would be a good time to get some chutney for dipping, if you like. I was without today, but it was no great loss.....there is so much flavor and texture going on here! The FINAL FRANKIE FOTO? hahahah....

What can I say? It was simply delicious! Was it worth all of the prep and effort for a mid-morning delight? You bet! The vegetables retained a little texture and crunch, the spices, cilantro and mint were noticeable without being overpowering, and the jalapenos added just the right amount of zing. Oh, and since I know you have all been practicing clean-as-you-go...the only thing left when you are done is.....

That's right, neatly stowed in a plastic container for snacking on all day storage - I know you don't want a big mess to start your day. Really, I'm not kidding....a wider shot showing my cooking area after the fact...

It's not hard - you just have to make a concerted effort, and not walk away. Personally, as I cooked I put the ingredients away, and as I munched on the Frankie, I rinsed & loaded the dishwasher. That way, not only are you not sitting on your tush and gaining weight, you are serving the dual purposes of cleaning from your cooking, and burning calories. It was so tasty, I'm already dreaming of what I will put in it, the next time I make it!  What did Kitchen Angel think?
Oh she was just WAAAAAY too busy, checking out the newly-emerged basil seedlings. She (and I) cannot wait for Spring to be sprung!

What are you doing for seriously-early-Springtime?

Eat well, my friends, and enjoy creating something you love, even if it is just for you.  Love and kindness to all,

                                                                          Pixie

No comments:

Post a Comment