Powered By Blogger

Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day, Dad

You have been gone from our lives for almost thirty years, now. I was not quite twenty three years old that year. We had a turbulent relationship.....Mom said it's because we were both stubborn, and smart. We shared a love of fishing, ribald jokes (and language) and Johnny Carson. The most valuable things I ever learned from you, were;

1. Patience. If we had to sit out, in our boat, on a blazing hot South Florida day for five hours before the first fish would bite - that's what we'd do.

2. Perseverence. Never, EVER  give up. Period. Life is too short to be a coward, or a weenie. Be brave, and try new things.

And the last, indelible thought, and Dad repeated this one all the time....."The world does not owe you a living", you must learn to take care of yourself, and never depend on others to take care of you".

I now know that Dad was trying to teach us all independence. And while, I may have occasionally leaned on others for support, I know I could support and take care of myself, physically, mentally, emotionally and financially. It would be hard - nothing worthwhile in life is easy...but it would be so worth it!

Thank you Daddy, rest in peace.

Your Daughter, Allison (Pixie)

No comments:

Post a Comment