Powered By Blogger

Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Berried Treasure

You know, we're supposed to eat more of those wonderful antioxidant-filled berries. Nutrition experts agree and I for one, will bravely take action for the cause.  Even though it is healthier to eat them Au naturale, it has been a while since I sent treats to work with Dear Husband. As a plus, today was a cool, rainy late summer day...perfect for baking.  First, we get all our ingredients to come to the party, as usual...


From bottom left; butter, baking powder, salt, flour, sugar, milk, blueberries and eggs. Immediately after this picture, the butter went back into the fridge, and the blueberries back into the freezer.  It is important with most baking, to keep your ingredients cold.  Then, we mix all the dry ingredients...


And add the butter, cut into small pieces...


I am sure you are familiar with the baking term of "cutting" the butter into the flour. Here's my pastry blender doing just that...until pea-sized. One can also use two butter knives in lieu of a pastry blender...



Now, we beat together the eggs and milk...



Then, pour into the dry mixture...


Mix well, until you have a sticky dough...


Turn out onto a floured surface...


Then, knead in your blueberries...


Now, form the dough into two circles, approximately eight inches in diameter...


And using whatever is convienient, cut into wedges. I used a pie server...



Place on non-stick baking sheets, or line with parchment paper for easy clean up, and bake at 375 until the tops have turned golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes...


Remove to a rack to cool completely...


Scones are not super sweet, so to add a little sweetness and lemon flavor as a nice counterpart to the blueberries, I made a glaze with powdered sugar, lemon zest and juice, and a little half and half.


When the scones were completely cool, I drizzled a little of the glaze over the top, and added lemon zest for a touch more color and flavor. The results?


Chock full of blueberry goodness! What I liked best was that the scone itself is rich and buttery tasting, without actually having a ton of butter in the recipe.  Go here for the recipe I used. With a nice hot cup of tea, my breakfast was delicious, and I will send the rest off with Dear Husband...mainly because I'd like to stay  Pixie-sized!

What did Kitchen Angel think?  Well, 'tis the season for State fairs and festivals, and, well....let me just say, she had no problem getting into the "spirit" of things. 


What is your favorite fair or festival at this time of year?

Eat well, my friends and stay tuned, because making these scones has put me in the mood for a proper British high tea!  Love and kindness to all,

Pixie




No comments:

Post a Comment