Powered By Blogger

Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

Such a Pill

As you know, I don't DO breakfast...for the most part. I find traditional breakfast foods to be heavy, overly sweet, and generally not good for you. I really do not buy into that whole "most important meal of the day" stuff, as I firmly believe that physiologically speaking, our bodies are busy trying to eliminate waste from the prior day, and feel light and energetic for the day ahead. So, you can imagine my recent consternation when, due to a medication I had to take for a dental issue, I was told I MUST take it with food.....four, count 'em FOUR times per day. What to do? Another omelet (with the things I enjoy) was the obvious answer.

Additionally, this day was my coupon-clipping-grocery-store-shopping, get-all-the-bargains day ~ so I knew being hungry later was NOT going to bode well for the snack aisle.  Plus, my garden was being it's lovely productive self, and giving me a bounty that I had pledged early on not to waste. Looks like all three issues (medication/shopping/bounty), have told me what I should do. So....on to the assembly...


Clockwise from upper left; a tablespoon of butter, a chopped clove of garlic, salt & pepper. Diced bacon, salsa, beaten eggs (2), a tablespoon of vegetable oil, zuchinni, green beans, broccoli, tomato, shredded sharp white cheddar, red onion, a wedge of lemon.

First, saute' your bacon with the red onion, just until the fat has rendered, the bacon is crisp, and the onion has begun to soften, like so. Drain the bacon fat, set aside to cool, and wipe out the skillet with paper towels.


Then, add one half of the tablespoon of butter, the tablespoon of oil, the garlic, salt and pepper, and all your veggies.


Saute' until the vegetables are crisp-tender, and have not lost their texture and color.


Squeeze that lemon wedge over the top of the vegetables, mix in the bacon-onion mixture, and set aside to cool...preferably on a cheerful, sunny plate...that reminds you that you are going to have a great day!


Now, wipe out the skillet again, and add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of butter to it. Pour the beaten egg into the bottom, make sure the heat is on medium low and.....you guessed it, DON'T TOUCH IT! Let it set. In fact, sprinkle it with a little salt and pepper. Season every layer of your dish.  When you can slip a spatula under the edge like so....it is ready to fill..


Add your sauteed vegetable, bacon and onion mixture...staying ever so slightly to one side...


Then, pile on the cheese and salsa ~ ole!


Take your spatula (and yes, a deep breath), and flip the unfilled side over the top of the filling...


Now, carefully slide on to your serving plate, garnish with more shredded cheese, salsa, and chopped parsley....



A side view? For sure!


I feel as though I have fulfilled more than one mission here. I ate so that I could take the medication, I used produce from my garden so that I did not waste, and ensured that I would not suffer the dreaded "hungry while food shopping" issue! Oh, and it was delicious, too. :)

What did you do recently that accomplished more than one goal at a time?

Eat well, my friends, and stay tuned for a scone-tacular baking fest, and a visit from Kitchen Angel!  Love and kindness to all,

Pixie

No comments:

Post a Comment