Powered By Blogger

Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

Tuna and Ketchup

NO....NOOOO! NOT "ketchup", but, CATCH-UP. As in, I know I have failed to blog since November 6th, and "gee, was committing to a weekly post about making something from nothing a really good idea while working full-time"? Ahem, that answer clearly, is no. I will attempt, however, to reinvigorate my "something from nothing" posts, beginning this Sunday. Clearly, though, I have been busy. I DID manage to prepare this as well, on that end-of-November holiday that we foodies look forward to so much....


Yes, it was a very traditional Thanksgiving supper, shared with the awesome company of Son B., Daughter S., and Dear Husband. Moving on...Recently one cold January weekend, I saw Giada DeLaurentiis preparing a tuna sandwich that was anything but routine.  The recipe is called "Open-Faced Tuna Sandwiches with Arugula and Sweet-Pickle Mayonnaise". Well, the sandwiches looked so delicious, I simply HAD to, was COMPELLED to re-create them for lunch.  What is interesting is that within one day of seeing that episode (go here for the recipe), I found this gorgeous piece of tuna....


I sliced it in half lengthwise, as this piece would be way too thick for a sandwich, and saved the remainder for my next adventure in tuna. Then, gathered up the following ingredients...


Clockwise from the tuna...kaiser rolls, arugula, kosher salt & pepper, mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish, extra virgin olive oil, chopped fresh parsley, tarragon, basil and thyme, and cheddar cheese.  If you read the recipe you shall see that I may not be using precisely the same ingredients. That's the whole point of cooking creativity! Substitute! Play around a bit...you will find it gastronomically rewarding, I promise.

After drizzling the tuna with the olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, and herbs, and place on a preheated grill pan like so...


While it is doing it's thing, mix some mayonnaise with sweet pickle relish, or large chunks of sweet pickle per the recipe....



Flip your fishie to begin grilling the other side after about 3 minutes...you want it nice and rare in the middle...



Butter and toast your roll of choice when the fish is almost done...



Add your cheddar after removing your bread, and top with a lid to melt. Here's mine before lidding...



Then, spread your toasted bun with the pickle mayo...


Top with a piece of the tuna (as you can see, I cut that piece into two)..


Finally, top the tuna with some arugula sprinkled with kosher salt, black pepper, and olive oil...


The results? Well, first have a peek....


I almost regret making this sandwich. How will I ever eat canned tuna again? Ruined, I tells ya, ruined! I made a second sandwich with the remaining piece of tuna faster than you can say "sorry Charlie" lol! Eat well my friends, and stay tuned for Portuguese fish stew, something from nothing catch-up (not ketchup!), and a winter visit from Kitchen Angel! Wonder how she is spending the colder months...hmmmm. Love and kindness to all,

Pixie

No comments:

Post a Comment