Powered By Blogger

Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Confessions of a Foodie...

               


 
I have to admit it. Although I'm an omnivore of the highest order, there are a few things I actually do NOT love to eat. For instance....I love sushi and sashimi and seafood galore, but cannot stand the taste, nor texture of scallops. Weird, I know. Also, Dear Mom N. will describe the glories of her favorite Waldorf salad.....and I will cringe, because as much as I love apples, the idea of apples in a salad situation has as much appeal to me as.....well, a root canal.  Well, yesterday, while absorbing my daily overdose  ration of food related cooking, I saw Miss Giada make these Curried Chicken and Apple Wraps! Click here for her recipe. They......looked......so.....good. And healthy, too. I knew I must bite the bullet and make them. You know the weirdest thing of all?
 
 


I had all.....the...ingredients! ON HAND! Seriously! No, you don't understand! This kind of luck almost never happens to me! Sort of like the day I found that there package of goat cheese (on sale one day before its sell-by date - for $1.99!). Anyhoo...trust me, I believe in signs, and since I also happened to have leftover cooked chicken on hand, I knew I had to make it. From far left; olive oil, lime, garbanzo beans, hot sauce, apple, leftover salad, tortillas, Greek yogurt, goat cheese, dried mint, raisins, salt, pepper, curry powder, green onion, and mango chutney. As you can see, I did not have fresh mint, nor did I have whole-wheat tortillas.....don't judge me. Anyway, I know it is ingredient-heavy, but since I COULD NOT BELIEVE I had it all, I did not care. I also had this in the fridge...

 


You betcha...leftover shredded chicken. We are in business.  First, I combined the yogurt with the curry powder, lime juice, mango chutney, salt and pepper.


 
 


Then, I placed the mixture into a larger bowl. Kinda blurry....once again...I wanted to get to the eating part. My bad.


 

Then, we rough-chop the garbanzo beans. I'm saving the rest of the can for a mini-batch of hummus.

 
 On top of the dressing we put the crumbled goat cheese, olive oil, scallions, mint
hot sauce, and raisins.

 

 Then, throw in your delicious (I used Gala, here) chopped apple....in...a....salad. Hey, I'm working on it....it's a process.








 Mix it all together...



 Then, fold in your chicken..



And heat a tortilla in a non-stick...just until soft and pliable..



Now, line the tortilla with some lettuce of your choice - as you know I used some from last nights' salad.



Then, put your chicken and apple mixture-o-loveliness on top..
 
 

 
Now, roll up tightly, burrito style...and snarf down like there is, in fact, no tomorrow. How was mine?

 
 
 
 
 
 Let me put it this way......I WAS going to have it for lunch again tomorrow....but, I highly suspect....there will be none left. It was that, darn, good! (I'm snacking on the rest of the mixture as I write this post!).  Oh, and HEY, MOM! I ate apples....IN....A.....SALAD.

What food aversion did you successfully overcome?

Eat well, my friends, and stay tuned for the big blog-a-versary special celebration meal.  Love and kindness to all,

Pixie


 


No comments:

Post a Comment