Powered By Blogger

Pages

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Something Fishy...

It was, the PERFECT PIECE of cod.  After being a life-long recipe follower, I recently have begun to use the basic foundations of culinary thought for recipe creation.  After much thought, and pressed for time, I devised a recipe that will now become my go-to recipe for cod. 

I share this because the sensation of eating that perfectly moist fish, with the crunch of the almond and crumb topping, was better than some five-star dining experiences I have had.  Perhaps if  those who are sadly not fish eaters would try this, it may change their preference.

The dish was deceptively simple (as is the case in most things that become wonderful). After making a compound butter with lemon rind, parsley, basil and seasoning, I coated the filets with it, and returned them to the refrigerator for about 10 minutes, so that the butter could firm up.  I then squeezed some fresh lemon juice over the top, and made a crumb mixture with Panko, parsley, basil, lemon rind, slivered almonds and salt and pepper.  I covered the filets with the crumb mixture, dotted with some margarine, and baked for 10 minutes at 375. 

Now, given that most recipes, even "original creations" are tweaks and modifications to something that has been out there for a long time, I'm not claiming any special authorship or singular "creative genius" point here, and that is why I will always share a recipe.  I think that if one finds something uniquely flavorful, one has the obligation to let the world in on it.  After all, if someone's cake fell flat, it became brownies, and they never shared it with the world, we would have missed out.

By the way, as a person who has made a 3-tiered wedding cake, a nine-layer chocolate-raspberry Dobosh Torte (the layers are so thin they are baked on an inverted cake pan), and has mastered about every kind of cuisine there is, I must tell you, I CANNOT MAKE BROWNIES!  Nope, can't do it.  It does not matter, boxed or from scratch, cake-style or fudgy, I simply can't get it right.  They always come out soggy in the center, burnt on the crusts, and just sub-par.  Anyone have a recipe that will work all the time?  I'm just sayin'......peace out until next post.

P.S. Today is another "adventure in foodland", as I am trying to duplicate smoked BBQ brisket without a smoker, nor even a charcoal grill. What craziness will I attempt next?  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment