Powered By Blogger

Pages

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Potlucky

Anchorage is a pot-luck kind of town. Heck, we'll have a potluck lunch or supper just because, oh I don't know, it's Tuesday? I have tried to perfect dishes to bring to these multitudinous events with an eye toward taste (of course), and lack-o-breaking the bank.
Deviled eggs became the focus of my quest. It's funny what you can invent in your sleep! I determined that I would make several flavors of the unsuspecting ovoid, and have myself a little taste test.  I hard-boiled only two little eggs, and mashed the yolks with two tablespoons of canola (cholesterol-free) mayonnaise. The results......

From left to right, Chipotle deviled egg, garnished with a single cilantro leaf, Lemon dill deviled egg, garnished with additional dill, Pesto deviled egg garnished with a tiny basil leaf, and last, but most certainly not least, Bearnaise deviled egg, garnished with a couple sprigs of tarragon. A wider shot showing my pretty hors d' oeuvres tray....


The final shot is of my post-taste-test destruction......

The verdict? Be careful what you wish for.  Why? Because each flavor was so good, there really can be no clear winner! The chipotle egg was spicy, but not too spicy, and the cilantro was a perfect and pretty counterpoint.  The lemon dill egg was refreshing, and would be a great appetizer for a seafood meal. The pesto egg was outrageously delicious, with the crunch of finely chopped walnut, garlic, basil and Parmesan. The Bearnaise egg was cool and creamy, tasting like the best Bearnaise sauce you've ever had, but without the guilt!

My only problem turns out to be, that these updated deviled eggs are so good, I will simply have to make several of each kind, the next time I am required to contribute to our pot-lucky fun! Eat well, my friends, and stand by for new posts this week about my second quest of the weekend, replicating amazing dishes I've seen on food-based television, without the benefit of a recipe.

CONTEST ALERT! Do you have an updated old-timey pot luck recipe? Tell me! The first one to comment will receive, via email (leave me your email address) the recipes I developed for the updated deviled eggs!


No comments:

Post a Comment