Powered By Blogger

Pages

Monday, September 19, 2011

The Great Rib Fake Out!

I know, I know...the scone REEEEE-MIX is coming up. However, Pixies cannot live by baked goods alone, you know.  I don't know about you, but I love me some delicious baby-back ribs! During this impossible strained economic time, however...baby backs are not in the Pixie Purse's capability.  So, left with a half a rack of spare ribs in the freezer, but seriously undaunted, I began my quest to make a rib so tender, so juicy, that it would meet or beat any one's expectation of a baby back-style rib.  Here is the aforementioned hunk o' ribs....oh boy, we've got some work to do up in here!



Clearly, Doctor Pixie needed to make these gargantuan spare ribs at least look like baby backs, yes? So, before they thawed completely, I hacked them into baby back lookalikes....





Yes, that is plastic covering my bamboo cutting board - no cooties, here. Then, I created my own rub out of the following;





In a left-flowing concentric circle (HAHAHAHA) Brown sugar,  onion powder, onion salt, garlic salt, garlic powder, paprika, dry mustard powder, cayenne, white pepper, Emeril's Essence, and thyme. Now, we take our ribs to the spa, and give them a good massage on both sides with yonder rub.


Covered, and into a slow (300 degree) oven for just two hours.....


After two hours, I let the ribs cool slightly, placed them on a plate, covered them, and put them in the fridge until later in the day. 


In the meantime, I mixed a can of Great Northern beans with a can of black beans, added barbecue sauce, bacon, and onion, and let it go a-simmering in the crock pot.


Over half of a barbecue supper - done! I went out for a few hours, and when I came home, the beans were filling the house with the most tantalizing aroma! I then mixed up a barbecue sauce that simmered low and slow for a good half an hour...
 
 
Then, I mixed up the following for my Asian slaw (you've seen this one here before);
 
 
Black and white sesame seeds, rice wine vinegar, vegetable oil, sesame oil, salt and pepper, chopped scallion, carrot, cabbage and cilantro. Presto! Slaw goes into the fridge, and you are just about done!
 
 

Crunch-a-riffic!  Now, slather (sidebar note: I once answered the phone at a food company to hear a woman say that she thought the word "slather" was vulgar - just weird...) ahem...slather those lovely ribs with your sauce. And yes, in a pinch, you may use commercially-made sauce, just use a good one!


 
Into a 375 degree oven for twenty or so minutes, just until the top gets a little caramelized, and the sauce has flavored the ribs...the results?
 
 
Can you blame me for not eating in restaurants much?
 
What is your favorite barbecue meal?
 
What did Kitchen Angel think? Well, I think this may have something to do with it being National Talk like a Pirate day....but all I heard was a loud "ARRRGGHHHH"...and there she went!
 
 
 
Well, avast ye scurvy dogs....eat well, and stay tuned for that long-awaited scone remix. Love and kindness to all,
 
Pixie

No comments:

Post a Comment