Powered By Blogger

Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Scones ~ The Remix

Even though I just produced a recent batch of scones for Dear Husbands' work place, I was unhappy with them. Why? Well, please see my Berried Treasure post, and you will know why. I simply thought that although tasty, they were less-than-pretty. Now don't get me wrong....tasty will win every time with me, but, I simply could not stand it.  I could, nay, HAD to do better. So, I found an interesting and rather unique (I will tell you why in a bit) recipe on the usual Inter-galactic web search, and attempted my redemption.  This scone recipe was for a simple scone dough, Go here to print it, if you like. I intended to use dried cranberries, instead of raisins, and some orange rind.  First, I got all ingredients together to assemble what would hopefully be my finest scone hour....


From left to right; dried cranberries, sugar, egg, orange, baking powder, flour (unbleached) salt, sour cream and baking soda (not pictured, butter). The reason that the butter is not in the photo, is the unique thing about this recipe ~ it is kept in the freezer, until mixing time! I know that baking ingredients have to be kept cold, but this was most interesting.... Then, after I mixed all the dry ingredients, the REALLY cool part of the recipe....one grates in the entire stick of butter! No, I'm not kidding....look!


The more I thought about it, the more sense it made! After all, when we use a pastry blender, or two butter knives to cut the butter into the flour, the object is to get the butter into small, pea-sized bits. The grating of the butter did exactly that....and was easier! AND faster! A very new, and very cool technique. And just look at the perfectly small, curlicues of butter this left behind...



Genius! I am going to use the grater to cut butter into flour from now on...the only problem was what was holding the end of the stick of butter....which started out to be my (very clean) hand.....but ended up as a paper towel, as the butter got warm and started to melt a little ~ causing me to have...yes, you guessed it...BUTTERFINGERS! HAHAHA! OK, I know, back to the actual task, ahem.  The scones went quickly after that...mixing in the cranberries and orange rind...


Mixing an egg and the sour cream....


Then, combining all into the dough...


Now, here is where I went to another, different level than the blueberry scones.  I made three small rounds, so that the scones would be more workplace-friendly, and would serve more, come to think of it...


I rolled each one of these out into an 8-inch round...


Then cut into wedges and placed on the baking sheets....



Baked at 400 degrees until a lovely golden brown, then cooled on wire racks


While I mixed up a glaze of confectioner's sugar, cream, lemon rind and juice...


Well? Did I finally achieve scone-tacular looks? Scones that looked as good as they tasted?


Why yes......yes I did.  They were rich, moist, not too sweet...and I could sleep at night knowing that Dear Husbands' work buddies would not have to shy away from the less-than-pretty blueberry version. So, I dressed them for the party with some mint which is taking over abundantly growing in the back garden...




What dish did you re-make to your satisfaction? Was it worth it?

Eat well, my friends, and stay tuned for "Something from Nothing", week two! Love and kindness to all,

Pixie

No comments:

Post a Comment