Powered By Blogger

Pages

Monday, May 10, 2010

Field Trip Foodie

Since I have decided to incorporate more meat-free dishes into my diet, and was totally craving some wonderful Felafel in healthy whole wheat pita bread, I did my usual Internet research. I enjoy taking a "foodie field trip" by making dishes from other countries, a great way to learn about other cultures, as well! I used a combination of recipes and techniques to create the yummy felafels, one of which is pictured below.

I did not want to deep-fry the Felafels, as I felt that it would detract from the "healthy" part of this dish, so I shallow-fried them in a combination of olive and vegetable oils.  I filled the pitas with lettuce, tomato, thinly sliced onion and cucumbers.  I made a yogurt sauce with yogurt, water, sesame oil and salt and pepper.  All I can say is how wonderful it is to fulfill a craving, and eat deliciously and healthily at the same time!

I feel so empowered when I create dishes like these.  Proving that with a little time and research, those boxed, pre-packed mixtures are basically useless.  Not to mention filled with chemicals and preservatives.  I mean, how hard is it to throw some beans, herbs and seasonings into a food processor, blend it, then refrigerate it?  Hint: NOT HARD!!

This reminds me of another pet peeve of mine.  People who cannot seem to mix ingredients in a bowl and simply must BUY cocktail sauce, or tartar sauce, for instance.  I will look into the suspects' refrigerator (after they've told me that we simply cannot have shrimp cocktail, because they  have no cocktail sauce), and notice that they have ketchup, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce and a lemon!  Um, mix much?  Same goes for tartar sauce...this same person had mayonnaise and relish on the door of their fridge, and said "oh, that's too bad, I have no tartar  sauce, either".  OH. MY. GOSH.  Really? Eat well, my friends, and for the love of all that's good and holy, mix a couple things up from time to time, OK?  There, I feel better now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment