Powered By Blogger

Pages

Friday, December 10, 2010

HO-HO-Hotel?

One month and two weeks into our journey out of Alaska. Travel, and trying to "cook" on the road is becoming less-than-charming. The bloom is most definitely off the rose. I am so looking forward to finally being in our own home, that my fear is Dear Husband will not be able to forcibly pry me out of the kitchen....to perform such non-essential tasks as, oh I don't know....unpacking? Having said that, the other night I was determined to make something, from scratch...utilizing only what I had on hand in the mini fridge and cupboard here in our hotel room.  I had a bunch of vegetables that needed to be used, a box of pasta, and a half a bag of baby spinach. The solution? Minestrone!  I began by micro-sauteing some red onion and garlic with salt, pepper, olive oil and butter in a microwave-safe container.

I then added carrots, red and green bell pepper, and celery. I nuked until softened and ready for the next step...


I then added vegetable broth, cut up cherry tomatoes, Italian seasonings and micro-cooked for another seven minutes, until the vegetables were tender.



The final step was to add some pasta shells I had micro-cooked before I started on the soup, and the rest of the bag of baby spinach. Home-made minestrone anyone?



Just goes to show you that you cannot keep a cook from cooking! Although circumstances are certainly trying to prevent me from flexing my culinary muscles, I will not be deterred.

What did you have to overcome to enjoy your hobby, even while out of your normal living circumstances? How did you do it?


Eat well, my friends, and stay tuned for what I will create tonight with a microwave, and a mini-fridge, and what I lucked into in a tiny market in the beautiful hills of West Virginia! Love to all,

Pixie

No comments:

Post a Comment