Powered By Blogger

Pages

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Of Life, and Rubberband wars

 
 
I don't have any cool food photos to post. Heck, I only have one, reasonably nice picture to show you today. Here you are, my plum trees are blooming.

 
Yes, I am actually quite happy about that. Although, you would not know it to talk to me, right now. I recently found out that my job is ending. You know how losing a job is like a sort of death? You kind of mourn the loss of new friends, things like, oh, I don't know....a paycheck? Well, I think I'm in that phase.
 
You know what I miss even more? Cameraderie. Yup, good old-fashioned FUN AT WORK. You think it's not possible, dontcha? Well, let me bring you to a time in my life when I worked at a magical place. A TV station in Northern California  ~ click here to see where I worked. Not that they were giving away free candy or something....it was (as it always is) the people I worked with. A dedicated team of professionals, who worked hard, but had fun with each other all day, as well. As I sit back and remember it, I cannot help but smile, even on my darkest days.
 
It begins innocently enough...I'm at my desk, staring into my computer (undoubtedly focusing on some issue which will either bring about world peace, or at least departmental peace), and I see a rubber band plop down near my keyboard. Oh my......it's ON! Now, don't go getting all preachy on me, we did not shoot each other in the face, and the only satisfying THWUNK! one got to hear, was when one's rubber band hit the side of a cubicle, or if you were really lucky, it hit the persons hanging paper calendar with a loud SWACK! The key to successful workplace rubberband wars, is....detecting the enemy. It was considered bad form to shoot your rubber band into the cubicle of someone who was NOT the instigator of the latest skirmish...and also brought about a new battle. The real trick here, is....listening. This is because invariably, whomever shot the first volley into your cubicle would be unable to suppress, at first....a mild giggle. And since, you probably STILL don't know who that is, or cannot hear them...you wait.....because that giggle became an overwhelming, gut busting, serious laughing fest. Then, it (sadly) was all over for them...because now...you knew.
 
I personally waited an hour or so, to give the offending party a false sense of security....but then....THWAK!! I got 'em, and I got them good!
 
 
Eat well, my friends.....and may all your workplace endeavors be productive....AND fun.
 
Love and kindness to all,
 
 
Pixie


No comments:

Post a Comment